9 horrid things that stress does to your appearance
along with ways to combat them and remain fabulous…
1. Under-Eye Bags/ dark circles: Tomorrow's to-do list can weigh on your mind, keeping you from getting enough beauty sleep. This can cause fluid to fill below your lower eyelid area, and what you end up with is a puffy mess in the morning! Stomach sleepers, you can expect the puffiness of your under-eye bags to be even worse because of gravity.
Prevent and Shrink Puffiness: Get at least eight hours of sleep. Since the light from your smartphone's screen simulates sunlight, shut off any electronic devices an hour before you go to sleep. Use your downtime to make yourself a cup of caffeine-free chamomile tea to help calm and relax you before bed.
CONCEAL PUFFY EYES ASAP: Pop a spoon in the fridge for a few mins to make it cold, hold the back of it to your under-eye area and massage it from the inner to the outer corner of your eye to trigger the fluid's drainage.
MAKE UP TIP: Apply concealer in an inverted triangle under your eye. The brightness will start slightly below your nostrils and build toward your eye, concealing the puffiness.
2. Dry, Flaky Skin: If you're stressed, the chances are that you are not drinking enough water! Instead, you knock back coffee or sodas like it’s your savior, but it’s dehydrating you thus your skin will end up feeling and looking like the grey sky on a dull and rainy day.
Look Fresh-Faced: Firstly drink a lot of water — eight glasses (at least) every day. You can also include some green tea for a boost of healthy antioxidants and eat foods that have high water content like fruit and veg, cucumbers, tomatoes, beets, and celery – all 80 to 90 percent water. For a quick hydration and blemish fix, use a clearogen lotion. It contains the natural ingredients proven to reduce DHT production and help restore normal oil production to the skin. It also contains Sulfur, to open the pores and kill the toxins causing bacteria.
3. Acne: Stress causes skin issues to flare up regardless of what you're prone to, whether it's acne, psoriasis, or eczema. When it comes to acne, stress releases cortisol, which can throw off the other hormones in your body and cause breakouts on your face or body. Stress can also disrupt the balance between the good and bad bacteria in your gut. That can then show up on your skin in the form of acne.
TOP TIP for Blemishes: Practice deep breathing (take a big breath that fills your belly, hold for few seconds, and exhale slowly through your mouth) to calm any anxiety. Drinking a lot of water and eating a well-balanced diet are important too, since your body can't handle stress well if it's not properly nourished. Fruits, vegetables, and high-quality proteins like grass-fed meats are also crucial (they keep a balance between the good and bad bacteria in your gut), as is cutting down on sugar.
Use a cleanser regularly to ensure your skin is clean, an absolute MUST when trying to prevent acne. One of our most popular adult and teenage acne products is Clearogen Foaming Facial Cleanser. A new acne product that effectively removes dirt, makeup, excess oil and harmful acne-causing bacteria, while botanical extracts revitalize and rejuvenate the skin.
4. Rashes / Hives: Both are caused by a dysbiosis, aka an imbalance in your gut. They crop up when stress takes over and too much bad bacteria outweighs the good.
Calm yourself and your Skin: Breathing exercises can help minimize the chances of getting a rash or hives when you're stressed, but to keep both at bay, consult your doctor first. Ask if you should be taking medical-grade probiotics to balance out the good and bad bacteria in your gut.
If you're heading out for the night, camouflage a hive or rash by patting a little bit of stick concealer onto it with your clean fingertip. Try one with calming and anti-inflammatory properties in it.
5. Flushed Face: When you're stressed, you breathe in short, shallow breaths and can even find yourself holding your breath for periods of time, which can lead to flushing and redness. Tone Down Redness: Try Clearogen Clarifying Skin Toner, one of the best products for redness and adult acne. It eliminates the pore-clogging impurities, decreases the size of pores, and reduces redness and sensitivity. This acne control treatment contains botanical extracts, to enhance the skin's renewal, leaving it vibrant and smooth and is one of the top hormonal acne products.
6. Fine Lines: Constantly making certain facial expressions, like furrowing your brows when you're stressed or pursing your lips, can lead to deeper wrinkles in these areas over time. Stop it. Prevent and Blur Lines: Be mindful of making certain unconscious facial expressions when you have a lot on your plate, especially when you're sitting at your desk. Need help training your muscles to relax? If you tend to furrow your brow, put a piece of clear tape in between your arches when you're at work. That way when you scrunch up your brow muscle, the tape will crinkle, reminding you to relax it. If pursing your lips is what you struggle with, do the same above your upper lip. After a while, you'll learn to drop the habit. Because, let's face it, how long can you tolerate wearing face tape in the office?
To improve skin and prevent fast aging, invest in a shower filter ASAP, literally, put the magazine down and go and buy a shower filter now. You’d be amazed at the level of chlorine found in the water in this part of the world! The affect it is having on your skin, inner health and hair are insanely damaging! It seems simple yet so many of us don’t have one, VIVANDI shower filters are built with enough KDF media to change the chlorinated water into a safe compound for us to shower in, happily.
7. Graying Hair: Stress can cause the melanin in your hair to stop producing, leaving it gray. It can also cause your hair to become thinner in diameter over time.
QUICK FIX: Salon in a bottle is a quick and easy way to spray away your gray. It feels light and natural on your hair. Just a spray covers gray roots in seconds. The airbrush nozzle precisely conceals roots and nutrient rich formula contains Vitamin E, Chamomile and green tea extracts.
Salon in the Bottle is swim-proof, smudge-proof and lasts until your next shampoo. No more hat and scarf days.
Maintain Your Color: Talk to your doctor about taking biotin or a B vitamin, which helps to strengthen your hair. Prevent your strands from premature aging by using protein-rich shampoos, like Malibu C’s Color Wellness Kit, perfect for creating a “fresh from the salon” look with the only 100% vegan, at-home maintenance system that keeps your color treated hair refreshed and radiant between salon visits and preps hair for your next color service. (It includes FREE Wellness Treatments to keep any stray grays under wraps between colorings too).
8. Thinning Hair: “Stress causes your hair to go from the growing phase to the resting phase to the falling-out phase quicker, accelerating its natural cycle” says VIVANDI Trichologist, Mr Hanney Al Qaisi
Keep Your Hair on Your Head: Hair loss is usually a reaction to significant physiological stress caused by an extreme change in your diet, medical issues, or sudden lifestyle changes, like switching your birth control, an illness, or, in extreme cases, even the stress of a break up. But there is light at the end of the tunnel: Once the culprit of your hair loss is addressed and under control, your hair will return to its regular growing system and begin to grow and shed normally again. If you notice your hair falling out more than usual, talk to a credible trichologist ASAP to make sure nothing serious is going on VIVANDI Trichology Center, Fairmont Hotel, Dubai +4335 3336.
QUICK FIX: Use Toppik Hair Building Fibers to instantly fill in balding or thinning areas. Made of pure organic protein, Toppik is completely undetectable and resistant to wind, rain and perspiration; yet easily washes out with shampoo. If you're a man or woman with thinning hair, Toppik will transform your appearance in 30 seconds, just tap tap onto the head.
9. Deep Grooves in Your Nails: Vertical lines are common on nails and usually are linked to aging and, in some cases, a lack in certain vitamins, but they're harmless. Horizontal grooves and ridges that run side to side tend to appear when the body is compromised from stress and typically mean there is something more serious going on in your system. Speak to a doctor for a general check if this becomes more visible in a short space of time.
Handle It: If you see these linear lines, make an appointment with your doctor ASAP, since they can be sometimes caused by diabetes, zinc deficiency, syphilis, and vascular disease. In the meantime, do your best to take a chill pill. Take a yoga class or meditate.